Our Our gift certificate program is far better than Butterball for several reasons:
(1) Our certificates are a better value for the price. For the same amount of money a customer can get a larger turkey with our program. This is due to the higher retail price of Butterball turkeys, which are among the highest priced of the popular brands. Striving to get the most competitive feature prices, retailers will usually feature other brands at the lowest sale prices. The bigger the difference between these sales prices and Butterball prices the greater our value advantage becomes. For example, if the Butterball turkey is sold at $1.29 in the supermarket (a typical price for Butterball), a $15 certificate would only get an 12 lb turkey. In contrast, our $15 certificate could get a 17-22 lb turkey (at average Nov-Dec feature prices of $.69-$.89/lb). Even if some of your employees get a Butterball turkey, overall our program will still be a far better buy for your money.
(2) Our program offers the recipient of the certificate more flexibility and convenience. He can get the turkey he wants (any brand) at the time and place that’s most convenient for him (any supermarket), whereas the Butterball certificate must be redeemed only for a Butterball and only at a store that carries Butterball. Furthermore, with our turkey-or-ham certificate your employee can choose which item he prefers, either a turkey or a ham.
(3) We offer better customer service and far more rapid turn-around time. We offer one business day turn-around time on orders, while Butterball requires up to 10 business days (one week for rush orders). Furthermore, they will not ship until they receive the check in the mail, potentially adding days of incoming mail time to their turn-around. In contrast, we could receive an order in the morning and ship the same afternoon. On a rush order our customer could have his certificates less than 24 hours after placing the order.
(4) We offer more flexible payment options. Butterball does not offer credit and does not accept credit cards. They will only accept company checks. We accept credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express), personal or company checks, and we offer 30-day credit terms.
(5) Our certificates may qualify for the IRS de minimis exclusion, while the Butterball certificates do not. Gifts (like ours) that meet de minimis requirements do not have to be claimed by the recipient as taxable income, do not have to be processed through Payroll, and may be claimed by the employer as a business expense. On the other hand, the Butterball certificate, which is actually a check voucher that the retailer sends through the bank, is a cash equivalent, does have a cash redemption value, and may be used to pay for any merchandise. This effectively disqualifies it from the de minimis exclusion and you must run it through Payroll.